Psalm 27 Commentary - Faith and Confidence In God
In this article, we will share with you Psalm 27 commentary daily devotional message titled faith and confidence in God.
Psalm 27 is a psalm of faith and confidence in God where David strongly and confidently expressed God as his life and salvation.
When we put our faith in God, this will give us the confidence to continue in life. Regardless of our challenges, remember that God is our stronghold; He is our salvation, and we should not fear.
We hope this Psalm 27 devotional message will provide you with some peace and comfort as each day passes.
See also: Tips On How to Stay Strong In Your Faith
Psalm 27 Commentary (KJV)
- Divine Guidance and Protection
- Triumph over Adversity
- Unshakable Courage
- Seeking Spiritual Fulfillment
- Finding Refuge in God's Shelter
- From Struggle to Triumph
- The Cry for Mercy
- Yearning for God's Presence
- A Plea for God's Presence
- Divine Comfort
- Guided by God's Wisdom
- Shielded from Harm
- Hope in the Midst of Despair
- The Power of Patience
- Summary Of Psalm 27
- A Prayer Of Faith In God
Psalm 27 is a beautiful song of faith. It starts with David declaring that he trusts the LORD, no matter what happens. He asks the LORD to protect him and guide his steps.
Despite the trials and tribulations, David remained confident that the LORD would help him. He praised God for being a stronghold in times of trouble.
Psalm 27 reminds us that we must have faith in God, no matter our circumstances. We are taught how to pray when we're faced with difficult situations.
Psalm 27 Commentary (KJV)
Divine Guidance and Protection
1. "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"
- This psalm reveals to us the attributes of God which is seen in king David's faith and confidence in his maker. A mother calls it the images of God.
- To king David, God was his light salvation and stronghold, his place of refuge and hiding place; hence no matter the forces that came against him, he remained confident that God would defend his course and fight for him.
- Let God be your light and salvation today.
- Isaiah 60:1 - "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you."
- John 8:12 - "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Triumph over Adversity
2. "When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell."
- David had many enemies who tried to take his throne. We know of his son Absalom who led a coup against his father, king David, but David did not let that hinder his faith.
- David trusted God with his life, and in the end, he reclaimed his throne and eventually became Israel's greatest king, second to Jesus.
- This verse is a declaration of victory over the wicked. It is also a declaration of trust in God, who will protect the righteous from their enemies.
- 1 Corinthians 15:57 - "But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
3. "Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident."
- King David fought many battles in his time and won them all because God was with him. He trusted God and had confidence in Him; hence he won all battles against nations.
- When we trust in God and put our confidence in Him, there is nothing we cannot accomplish in life.
- Psalm 20:7 - "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."
Seeking Spiritual Fulfillment
4. "One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple."
- Here we see that king David expressed his desire to do three things that mattered to him in the house of the Lord:
- To dwell in God's house all the days of his life.
- To gaze upon his beauty means to worship the Lord in the beauty of his holiness
- To seek the Lord in prayer with all his heart, soul and mind.
- As Christians, we are to seek God first in all we do and not seek after our desires. When we seek God first, He promises that everything else that we need in life will be given to us.
- Matthew 6:33 - "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
Finding Refuge in God's Shelter
5. "For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock."
- The Psalmist established the benefits we derive from being in God's presence.
- We experience rescue in times of trouble
- We experience God's divine protection
- We experience victory in every battle
- Our lives will be full of joy, and thanksgiving
- Our lives will be full of testimony
- Psalm 91:1 - "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."
From Struggle to Triumph
6. And now shall my head be lifted above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord.
- When the Lord lifts you, He will lift you above your enemies. You will become the head and not the tail.
- Giving praises to God with all your heart is a way of showing your love to God for all He has done for you.
- Psalm 16:11 - "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
The Cry for Mercy
7. Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
- God is ever-present in our time of need, and when you call on Him in spirit and truth, He will hear your cry and answer you.
- Psalm 46:1 - "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."
Yearning for God's Presence
8. When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.
- This verse encourages us to:
- Seek the face of God in prayer at all times while He may be found
- Cry out to God with all our heart
- Come before Him with a clean heart to receive from Him
- Psalm 51:10 - "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."
A Plea for God's Presence
9. Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
- God hides His face from us because of sin. When we sin against God, He can not dwell in such a body; hence he hides his face from such person.
- For God to dwell in us and His light to shine through us, we must repent of our sins and turn to Him with a repentant heart.
- When we repent, the Lord promises that He will not leave or forsake us.
- Psalm 38:21 - "Lord, do not forsake me; do not be far from me, my God."
10. When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.
- When our earthly parents forsake us, rest assured that our heavenly father will neither leave nor forsake you.
- Your friends and family may forsake you, but God will never leave you alone.
- Hebrews 13:5 - "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
Guided by God's Wisdom
11. Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
- This is a powerful verse to pray upon. As you pray, ask God to lead you in his way and on the path He has set for you.
- Ask God to give you a receptive heart so you may hear His voice when He whispers to you.
- Psalm 5:8 - "Lead me, Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies— make your way straight before me."
Shielded from Harm
12. Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.
- Here, your enemies may not physically attack you, but they falsely accuse you of something you did not do. They speak evil behind you and gossip about you.
- The Lord promises that He will not turn you over to the desires of such people. Even when they come to you with violence, the Lord will grant you the patience to overcome them and not fall into their trap.
- Use this as a prayer point that the Lord should distance you from those who plan evil against you.
- Mark 12:36 - "The Lord said to my Lord: Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet."
Hope in the Midst of Despair
13. I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
- This verse is a verse of prayer. Here David declares that he is confident that he would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
- When you have confidence in God, seek His face, trust in Him, and allow the word of God to dwell in you, you will see God's goodness in your life.
- Make this verse part of your daily prayer point.
- Psalm 23:6 - "Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
The Power of Patience
14. Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.
- To be of good courage is to stand firm in the word of God. We should never fear the enemy's devices because God is with us.
- Also, to wait patiently on God requires us to have faith and confidence in Him, knowing that what He says He will do is what He will do.
- Joshua 1:9 - "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
- Isaiah 30:18 - "Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!"
Summary Of Psalm 27
- Let your heart be obedient to God
- May your heart look unto God first in everything
- Put your confidence in God and not in the man
- Let your heart be in tune with God always
- Do not fear the enemy because God has given you the spirit of boldness
- Wait on the Lord patiently
- Be strong and take heart
We see in the life of king David that he was fearless in every battle because he made God his place of refuge. God is drawing our attention to consistently dwell in his presence every day of our lives.
Beholding the beauty of the Lord in worship and seeking him diligently in His temple, which is the church of the living God.
A Prayer Of Faith In God
Dear Lord, I thank you for this psalm of faith which is the product of confidence in You. Thank you, father, for you are my light and my salvation, so I shall fear no evil for you are with me.
Thank you for the confidence you have given me because you are my light, my salvation, and the stronghold of my life. No matter what the devil does, I cannot be afraid because of my confidence in you, Lord.
When evil men advance to devour my flesh and my enemies and foes attack me, I will be strong, and they will stumble and fall for greater is he that is with me than he that is against me. Thank you, Lord, for the privilege given me to worship you today and for answering prayers. Amen!
We hope you have been blessed by this psalm of faith and confidence in God - Psalm 27 commentary.
See also: How To Walk by Faith and Not by Sight
Leave a Reply