Bible Verses About Family Turning Against You
Discover the various Bible verses about family turning against you. Learn how to respond biblically and find hope in difficult family situations.
Family is a fundamental building block of society. Unfortunately, conflicts can arise even in the best of families, leading to broken relationships. Sometimes, family members may turn against one another, causing deep pain and hurt.
The Bible has plenty to say on this topic, providing guidance and comfort for those struggling with strained or broken family relationships. So in this article, we will answer the question on what the Bible says about family turning against you and how to respond in a way consistent with God's Word.
Bible Verses About Family Turning Against You
- Matthew 10:34-36 - "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn 'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law - a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'"
- Luke 14:26 - "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple."
- Psalm 69:8 - "Even my own brothers pretend they don’t know me; they treat me like a stranger."
- Micah 7:6 - "Son treats father with contempt, daughter rises up against her mother, daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; a man’s enemies are the members of his own household."
- Psalm 27:10 - "But even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close."
- Luke 21:16 - "You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers and sisters, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death."
- Deuteronomy 13:6, 9 - "If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, 'Let us go and worship other gods' … You must certainly put them to death."
- Matthew 10:37 - "Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."
- Jeremiah 12:6 - "Your relatives, members of your own family— even they have betrayed you; they have raised a loud cry against you. Do not trust them, though they speak well of you."
- Proverbs 19:7 - "All the brethren of the poor do hate him: how much more do his friends go far from him? he pursueth them with words, yet they are wanting to him."
What Does The Bible Say About Family Turning Against You?
- Genesis 50:19-20 - "But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."
- Proverbs 18:19 - "A brother wronged is more unyielding than a fortified city; disputes are like the barred gates of a citadel."
- Matthew 18:21 - "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?"
- Mark 13:12 - "Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death."
- Psalm 31:13 - "For I hear many whispering, 'Terror on every side!' They conspire against me and plot to take my life."
- Colossians 3:13 - "Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."
These verses show that even those closest to us, including our family members, may betray or turn against us. However, we can trust God's faithfulness and love, even under challenging circumstances.
FAQs About Family Turning Against You
What to do when your family turns against you?
What Does the Bible Say About Family Discord?
There are several instances in the Bible in which family members were at odds with one another. For example, in Genesis 4:8, Cain kills his brother Abel out of jealousy. In Genesis 37, Joseph's brothers sell him into slavery because they envy their father's favoritism towards him. These stories reveal that even biblical families were not immune to familial strife.
What Does the Bible Say About Persecution from Family Members?
Matthew 5:10-12 tells us what to do in situations like this: "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."