Can You Get Married In Heaven?
The question of whether one can get married in heaven has been a topic of interest for many people across different faiths and beliefs.
The answer to the question "Can you get married in heaven" is straightforward as the Bible provides some insight into this question.
See also: Bible Verses About Marriage and Love
Can You Get Married In Heaven?
The answer to this question is "NO", and this is evident in the book of Matthew 22:30 which says - "At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven"
This statement is a clear indication that no man is married in Heaven because when we resurrect, we take on a new heavenly body that is genderless, just like angels.
The Purpose of Marriage
Marriage was instituted on earth by God for companionship, procreation, and the establishment of families. In Genesis 2:18, God saw that it was not good for man to be alone, so He created a "suitable helper" for Adam. This need for companionship and family will not exist in heaven as believers will dwell in perfect community with the Lord and all other believers.
The Marriage of the Lamb
"The Marriage of the Lamb" is a term found in the book of Revelation in the New Testament. It is used to describe the ultimate union between Jesus Christ (the Lamb) and the Church (his bride).
In Revelation 19:7-9, it says:
"Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear. (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God’s holy people.) Then the angel said to me, 'Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!' And he added, 'These are the true words of God.'"
This passage tells of a great celebration in heaven, marking the end of the Church's earthly journey and the beginning of eternal life with Christ.
Bible Verses About Marriage In Heaven
Here are 10 Bible verses that discuss the concept of marriage in heaven:
- Matthew 22:30 (NIV): "At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven."
- Mark 12:25 (NIV): "When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven."
- Luke 20:34-36 (NIV): "Jesus replied, 'The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels.'"
- Revelation 19:7 (NIV): "Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready."
- Ephesians 5:31-32 (NIV): "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church."
- Revelation 21:2 (NIV): "I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband."
- Isaiah 54:5 (NIV): "For your Maker is your husband—the LORD Almighty is his name—the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth."
- 2 Corinthians 11:2 (NIV): "I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him."
- Hosea 2:19 (NIV): "I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion."
- Revelation 21:9 (NIV): "One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, 'Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.'"