How To Date As A Christian - 12 Dating Rules
In this post, we will be sharing with you on how to date as a Christian, and some things to consider when looking for a potential partner.
In an era that consists of dating apps and hook-up culture, it can seem nearly impossible to find someone that truly shares your Christian values and looking for a committed relationship.
Nowadays, people are more open to the idea of dating someone outside of their religion or beliefs. However, as a Christian, it is important to remember that dating should not be taken lightly.
Before you decide on who you want to date or go out on a date with, it is important to ask yourself if this person is someone you can see yourself having a future with.
Once you have established that, here are some dating rules to keep in mind when going out on a date:
- 1. Pray about your relationship status
- 2. Get to know the person
- 3. Set boundaries
- 4. Build each other up
- 5. Be accountable to someone
- 6. Have realistic expectations
- 7. Focus on God
- 8. Communicate openly and honestly
- 9. Be willing to compromise
- 10. Pray together
- 11. Take your time
- 12. Be marriage-minded
- Good Scriptures On Dating For A Christian
- Conclusion On How To Date As A Christian
1. Pray about your relationship status
This is the most important rule of all. You should always pray and ask God to guide you in your relationships. Whether you are single or dating, God should be the center of your relationship.
Many Christians rush into dating without laying a proper foundation with God first. As a result, they often end up in toxic and unhealthy relationships.
2. Get to know the person
Before you decide to date someone, it is important that you get to know them first. This includes their likes and dislikes, their interests, and most importantly, their values.
Its also important to know what career aspirations they have and where they see themselves in the future. The family background is also something to consider.
It is important to have things in common with the person you are dating, but it is also important to respect each other’s differences.
Its safer to discover these things before you get too emotionally attached to someone.
3. Set boundaries
It is important to set boundaries in your relationship, both physical and emotional. This will help protect you from getting hurt or getting into a situation that is not healthy for you.
Some examples of setting physical boundaries would be: no kissing on the first date, no sex before marriage, no sleeping over at each other’s houses, etc.
It is also important to set emotional boundaries and let the person know in the early stages of the relationship. This includes being honest with each other, being respectful of each other’s feelings, and communicating effectively.
As a Christian, you must continuously practice self-control in your relationships and seek to live a pure dating relationship.
4. Build each other up
A healthy relationship should consist of two people who are continually building each other up. This includes supporting each other’s dreams and goals, being there for each other during difficult times, and encouraging each other to grow in their faith.
A Christian relationship should be based on love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).
5. Be accountable to someone
It is important that you have accountability in your relationship. This could be a friend, family member, or pastor.
Having someone to talk to about your relationship will help you to stay on track and make good decisions. This person can also provide you with wisdom and guidance when needed.
6. Have realistic expectations
It is important to have realistic expectations in your relationship. This includes understanding that no one is perfect, and that relationships take work.
You should also expect to experience some trial and error as you get to know each other. It is important to communicate and work through these things together.
7. Focus on God
No matter what stage your relationship is in, it is important to keep God at the center of it all. This means making time for prayer and Bible study together, attending church together, and serving others together.
When you keep God first, it will be easier to make decisions that are in line with His will for your relationship.
8. Communicate openly and honestly
Open communication is essential in any relationship, but especially in a dating relationship. You should feel comfortable communicating your feelings, thoughts, and desires with the person you are dating.
This includes communicating about difficult topics such as finances, sex, and family. It is also important to be honest with each other about your past experiences and expectations for the future.
9. Be willing to compromise
No relationship is perfect, and there will be times when you will have to compromise. This could be anything from what you watch on TV to where you spend your weekends.
It is important to be willing to give and take in order to make your relationship work. But, always be sure to communicate with each other and come to an agreement that you are both happy with.
10. Pray together
Praying together is a great way to grow closer to God and to each other. It gives you the opportunity to share your hearts with each other and to ask God for guidance in your relationship.
Praying together can also help you to overcome difficult challenges that you may face in your relationship. So, make it a priority to pray together often!
11. Take your time
Rushing into a relationship is never a good idea. It is important to take your time to get to know the person you are dating and to make sure that this is someone you can see yourself spending your life with.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, and really listen to the answers. Also, take the time to pray about your relationship and ask God for guidance.
12. Be marriage-minded
It is important to keep marriage in mind when you are dating. This doesn’t mean that you need to get married right away, but it does mean that you should be looking for someone who you could see yourself marrying one day.
If you find yourself dating someone who does not have an interest in marriage or in marrying anytime in the near future, you should take it as a sign that this is not the right person for you.
Good Scriptures On Dating For A Christian
1. "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" - 2 Corinthians 6:14
2. What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols?" - 2 Corinthians 6:15-16
3. "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." - Colossians 2:6-7
4. "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." - Ephesians 5:21
5. "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." - Ephesians 4:2
6. "Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." - Galatians 5:26
7. "Do everything in love." - 1 Corinthians 16:14
8. "And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." - Colossians 3:14
9. "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." - 1 Peter 4:8
10. "Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man." - Proverbs 3:3-4
Conclusion On How To Date As A Christian
Dating can be a fun and exciting experience, but it is also important to remember that it is not all about finding the perfect person. It is also about getting to know yourself better and growing in your relationship with God.
So take your time, enjoy the process, and let God guide you every step of the way.
- Bible Verses About Speaking Up For Others
- God’s Unfailing Love Verses
- Marked by God for a Purpose
- Scriptures To Uplift Your Soul
- How long O Lord?