Bible Verses On The Fear Of God
In this post, we will be sharing with you some powerful Bible verses on the fear of God. These verses will help you better understand what it means to have a healthy fear of the Lord.
- What does the Fear of God mean?
- Daniel Feared God - Daniel 1
- 10 Inspiring Bible Verses On The Fear Of God
- 1. The fear of God is a command
- 2. The fear of God is the beginning of knowledge
- 3. The fear of God is the key to life
- 4. The fear of God leads to life
- 5. The fear of God is clean
- 6. The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil
- 7. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life
- 8. The fear of the Lord prolongs days
- 9. The fear of the Lord our treasure
- 10. The fear of the Lord brings riches, honor, and life
- Examples of Those Who Feared God In The Bible
- The Fear Of God Quotes
- More Bible Verses on The Fear of God with Images
What does the Fear of God mean?
The Fear of God can be defined as a reverential and worshipful awe of the Lord. It is an attitude of showing respect and honor to God.
When we have the Fear of God, we view God as He really is – the holy one who is worthy of our praises. We realize that He is the sovereign Lord of the universe and we are humbled before Him.
Daniel Feared God - Daniel 1
A good example of men who feared the Lord was Daniel. Daniel 1:8 says, "But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way."
Daniel's heart was totally committed to God, he did not turn away from the commands and precepts of God and the teaching about the fear of God. He stood firm in the word of God not to eat food sacrificed to idols. Because of this, God was pleased with him and he favored him (Daniel 1:9).
What precedes the Spirit of the fear of God in the life of Daniel and his friends was wisdom, knowledge and skills in all literature. Also Daniel had understanding in all wisdom, and dreams.
Daniel's eyes was open into the realm of the spirit to see mysteries that no one else can. He was distinguished among many because he proposed in his heart to fear God (Daniel 1:19-20).
10 Inspiring Bible Verses On The Fear Of God
We will be looking at 10 important verses on the fear of God, its meaning and implications in our lives.
1. The fear of God is a command
"You who fear the Lord, praise Him! All you descendants of Jacob, glorify Him, and fear Him, all you offspring of Israel!" - Psalms 22:23 NKJV
The first thing you need to know is that the fear of God is a command, not an option to choose and pick as desired. To have the fear of God simply means to obey Him and His commands. Praising and glorifying the Lord goes hand-in-hand with having a healthy fear of Him.
2. The fear of God is the beginning of knowledge
To enjoy all the benefits of the Holy Spirit, we must first have the Spirit of the fear of the Lord. Proverbs 9:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."
Working in fear of the Lord is a decision you must make as a child of God. You will enjoy a better life on earth when you fear God and depart from every form of evil.
The fear of God is the foundation and starting point of all knowledge and wisdom. It is only when we have a healthy respect and reverential awe of the Lord that we will be able to understand His ways and grow in our knowledge of Him.
Fools, on the other hand, despise this type of knowledge and instruction because they do not have a proper fear of the Lord.
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction." - Proverbs 1:7 NKJV
3. The fear of God is the key to life
"Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, On those who hope in His mercy," - Psalms 33:18 NKJV
The Fear of God is not something to be taken lightly. It is the key to life itself! When we have a healthy fear of the Lord, we are constantly aware of His presence in our lives and we hope in His mercy. This hope gives us confidence and strength to face whatever challenges come our way.
4. The fear of God leads to life
"The fear of the Lord leads to life, And he who has it will abide in satisfaction; He will not be visited with evil." - Proverbs 19:23 NKJV
When we have the Fear of God, it leads us to life – both physical and spiritual. We are satisfied with what we have because we know that God is in control.
Fear of God instills a sense of contentment within us and guards us against evil because we know that God is with us and will always protect us.
5. The fear of God is clean
"The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether." - Psalms 19:9 NKJV
Not only is the Fear of God clean, but it also endures forever. This means that it is an attitude and lifestyle that we should strive to have for the rest of our lives. It should not be something that we only turn to when things are going bad. The Fear of God should be a part of who we are, permeating every area of our lives.
6. The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil
"The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way and the perverse mouth, I hate." - Proverbs 8:13 NKJV
When we have the Fear of God, it naturally leads us to do good and hate evil. We start to see things from God's perspective and we realize that pride, arrogance, and evil ways are not pleasing to Him. Instead, we strive to live our lives in a way that is honoring to Him.
7. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life
"The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, to turn one away from the snares of death." - Proverbs 14:27 NKJV
The fear of God is not only a key to life, but it is also a fountain of life. It has the power to turn us away from the sinful things that can lead to death – both physical and spiritual.
The fear of God can give us the strength and motivation to live a healthy, fruitful life.
When we have the Fear of God, we are more likely to make choices that will lead to life instead of death.
The Lord will take away every spirit of fear in you today.
8. The fear of the Lord prolongs days
"The fear of the Lord prolongs days, But the years of the wicked will be shortened." - Proverbs 10:27 NKJV
Those who have the Fear of God can expect to live longer, healthier lives. This is because they are making choices that are in line with God's will for their lives. On the other hand, those who do not have the Fear of God will have their lives cut short because of the choices they make.
9. The fear of the Lord our treasure
"Wisdom and knowledge will be the stability of your times, And the strength of salvation; The fear of the Lord is His treasure." - Isaiah 33:6 NIV
When we have the Fear of God, we have a treasure that is more valuable than anything else in this world. It is a priceless possession that can never be taken away from us.
The Fear of God is something to be treasured because it is the key to life, wisdom, knowledge, and salvation. It is a gift from God that we should cherish.
10. The fear of the Lord brings riches, honor, and life
"Humility is the fear of the Lord; its wages are riches and honor and life." - Proverbs 22:4 NIV
The Fear of God leads to humility, which in turn brings riches, honor, and life. When we have the Fear of God, we realize that He is the source of all good things in our lives. We humble ourselves before Him and ask for His blessing. In return, He gives us everything we need – both physically and spiritually.
Examples of Those Who Feared God In The Bible
1. Noah - He was a righteous man who walked with God and was obedient to Him, despite the ridicule he faced from the world around him.
2. The Midwives - They disobeyed Pharaoh's orders to kill all the male Hebrew babies, instead choosing to fear God and save the lives of those infants.
3. Abraham - Abraham is known as the father of faith, and part of his faith was based in fear of God. This led him to be obedient to God's commands, even when it meant sacrificing his own son.
4. Moses - Moses was a great leader who fearlessly led the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt. His fear of God was evident in his humility and obedience which led him to yielding to God's calling.
5. David - David was a man after God's own heart, and part of that was due to his fear of the Lord. Because of his fear of God, he refused to kill Saul even when he had the opportunity, and he also repented of his sin with Bathsheba.
6. Joshua - Joshua was a brave leader who fearlessly led the Israelites into the Promised Land. His fear of God was evident in his obedience to God's commands and his trust in Him.
7. Esther - Esther was a righteous woman who fearlessly saved her people from destruction. Her fear of God led her to stand up for what was right, even though it meant risking her own life.
8. Paul - Paul was a great apostle who fearlessly preached the gospel throughout the world. His fear of God led him to be obedient to God's call on his life, even though it meant facing persecution and death.
9. Gideon - Gideon was a brave warrior who fearlessly led the Israelites to victory against overwhelming odds. His fear of God was evident in his obedience to God's commands and his trust in Him.
10. Job - Job was a righteous man who fearlessly endured great trials and suffering. His fear of God led him to remain faithful to Him, even though it cost him everything he had.
These are just a few examples of those who feared God in the Bible. There are many more whose stories can inspire us to fear God ourselves. When we fear God, we can be sure that He will always be with us and that He will never leave us alone.
The Fear Of God Quotes
- Your heart must be re-conditioned for you to receive from God.
- Your attitude towards God determines what you get from Him.
- It is your heart and mind that the devil targets, resist the devil sharply.
- Deep must come to deep for manifesting on earth.
- The beginning of your journey into the spiritual is to offer your body as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.
More Bible Verses on The Fear of God with Images
1. "Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand" - Isaiah 41:10
2. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction." - Proverbs 1:7
3. "The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, to turn one away from the snares of death" - Proverbs 14:27
4. "Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind." - Ecclesiastes 12:13
5. "And to man He said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28
6. "Let all the earth fear the Lord; Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him" - Psalm 33:8
7. "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love" - 1 John 4:18
8. "The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether" - Psalm 19:9
9. "The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry". - Psalms 34:15 NIV
10. "The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles". - Psalms 34:17 NIV
When we fear the Lord, we are acknowledging His power and sovereignty in our lives. We are submitting to His will and recognizing that He is in control. This fear is not a fear of punishment, but rather a reverential fear that leads to life.
When we fear the Lord, we are putting our trust in Him and His goodness. We are depending on Him for our strength and wisdom. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and it leads to life.
Leave a Reply