The Power Of Forgiveness - 10 Important Thinks You Need To Know
In this post, we will be sharing with you on the topic - the power of forgiveness, 10 important things we need to know about forgiveness as Christians.
When it comes to discussion surrounding the Power Of Forgiveness, it's theoretical aspect as a topic is much more thought and discussed than it is actually put into practice.
The reason behind this is a certain percentage of humans find it more challenging to forgive others depending on the circumstance.
As Christians, we cannot take the subject of forgiveness with levity because it is central to the Gospel message. The plan of redemption for humanity depends on it as well as sustaining our salvation.
It is essential that we understand why we need forgiveness, why we need to let God deal with the situation, the benefit of forgiving, how we receive the power of forgiveness, and why we need to extend it to others.
- What Does Forgiveness Mean?
- 10 Things To Keep In Mind About Forgiveness
- Bible Verses About Forgiveness
- 5 Short Prayers For Forgiveness
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Does Forgiveness Mean?
The definition of the word "forgive" is "relief or pardon from guilt, liberation or freedom". This aspect of forgiveness - pardon - is something that is highly needed for anyone born into this world.
The Bible gives us a perfect definition of forgiveness in Colossians 3:13. It says,
"Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."
The power of forgiveness is often misunderstood to mean that we should excuse bad behavior or pretend it never happened.
This is not what forgiveness means. The power of forgiveness is much more than that. To forgive simply means to cancel a debt.
It's letting go of the hurt, anger, and resentment you feel towards someone who has wronged you so that you can move on with your life.
The Need to Forgive
"But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." - Matthew 6:15
This is a very clear command from Jesus. If we don't forgive those who have sinned against us, then God will not forgive us.
It's that simple. We need forgiveness from God, and we need to extend forgiveness to others.
We can receive the power of forgiveness by repenting of our sins and asking God for forgiveness. His forgiveness is available to us when we repent (1 John 1:9).
The Need To Obtain Forgiveness
The need to obtain forgiveness does not end after our sins have been pardoned. This is because moral perfection, and having a heart that is right with God - do not result in human perfection.
- There will be times when regrettable words will slip out of our mouth. This is one of the reasons why we must seek forgiveness continuously.
- There will also be circumstances when we need to extend forgiveness because there will be times when others will hurt us.
- It's important to understand that when we wrong others, we not only sin against them, but we also sin against God.
This is why confession and repentance are critical in maintaining a healthy relationship with God and living a fulfilling life (Proverbs 28:13).
Forgiveness Through Jesus Christ
According to God's word, we are to forbear one another, and forgive one another. "If any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye" (Colossians 3:13)
- In the Lord's Prayer, we are told to pray, "And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us."
- In the book of Ephesians, it is written, "Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you."
- In the book of Colossians, we read, "Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye."
These verses show us that we need to forgive because Jesus Christ Himself forgave us. Christ died on the cross for our sins, so we we can receive forgiveness, hence we are to do the same for others by forgiving them.
How to ask forgiveness from God?
When we seek forgiveness from God, the Bible does give us some guidance on how to approach God when we need His forgiveness.
1. Psalm 51:3 - "I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is always before me".
This verse reminds us that we need to be honest with God about our mistakes. We should also express our sincere sorrow for our actions and ask for His forgiveness.
2. Isaiah 1:16 - "Wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight; stop doing wrong".
This verse reminds us that we need to be willing to change our ways if we want God to forgive us. We should also be ready to ask for forgiveness from those we have wronged.
Asking for forgiveness is an important part of our relationship with God.
10 Things To Keep In Mind About Forgiveness
1. Forgiveness is a Choice
Forgiveness is something that you have to choose to do. You might have been hurt so badly that you feel like forgiveness is impossible, but it's not. When you forgive, you are choosing to let go of the anger and pain that someone has caused you.
2. Forgiveness is Not a Sign of Weakness
Forgiving someone does not mean that you are weak. In fact, it takes a lot of strength to forgive. When you forgive, you are choosing to move on from the hurt instead of dwelling on it.
3. Forgiveness is a blessing
When you forgive, you are blessed. You are no longer carrying around the anger and pain that someone has caused you. Instead, you are free
Studies have shown that forgiveness is good for your physical and mental health. Forgiving can lower your stress levels, improve your heart health, and even boost your immune system.
4. Forgiveness Means To Forget
Forgiving means that you have decided not to harbor in your mind the wrong that someone did to you. You have chosen to set your heart free from the bitterness and anger that someone else’s actions caused you.
5. Forgiveness is Not Conditional
You do not have to wait for an apology in order to forgive someone. In fact, you can forgive someone even if they don't deserve it or even if they are not sorry for what they did.
6. Forgiveness Opens The Door To God's Miracle
Lack of forgiveness prevents access to God's kingdom and His miraculous power. It is one of the things that hinder God's work in our lives. The moment we confess and ask forgiveness from God, He will surely forgive us.
However, if we don't forgive others, it shows that we don't want to be forgiven by Him as well. We close the door for His miracle to enter our lives.
7. Forgiveness is the key to peace
Forgiveness gives us peace of mind. It is hard to have inner peace when we are holding on to anger and resentment. When we forgive, we let go of those negative emotions and replace them with positive emotions.
8. Forgiveness is the key to Happiness
We all want to be happy in life. We all go the extra mile to make our lives much happier. Sometimes we fail, and sometimes we don't get to attain this happiness to the fullest because of the grudges we keep within us.
As long as we still have resentment and anger in us, we can never find true happiness in life.
9. Forgiveness Heals
Forgiveness has the power to heal our broken hearts and relationships. It can mend the rift that was caused by anger and resentment.
10. Forgiveness is the Foundation of Love
Love cannot grow in an environment of unforgiveness. Unforgiveness will only breed more anger, resentment, and bitterness. If we want to experience true love, we need to forgive.
Bible Verses About Forgiveness
1. As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. - Psalm 103:12
2. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace. - Ephesians 1:7
3. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. - 1 John 1:9
4. The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him. - Daniel 9:9
5. I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more. - Isaiah 43:25
6. Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. - Isaiah 1:18
7. Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more. - Hebrews 10:17
8. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more. - Jeremiah 31:34
9. When Jesus saw their faith, he said, 'Friend, your sins are forgiven. - Luke 5:20
10. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. - Luke 6:37
11. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. - Ephesians 4:32
12. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. - Matthew 6:15
13. And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. - Mark 11:25
14. Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. - Matthew 18:21-22
15. "But in your great mercy you did not put an end to them or abandon them, for you are a gracious and merciful God." - Nehemiah 9:31
16. "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more." - Hebrews 8:12
17. "As he hung on the cross, Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." - Luke 23:34
18. "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." - Ephesians 4:32
19. "Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends." - Proverbs 17:9
20. "But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." - Luke 6:35
5 Short Prayers For Forgiveness
1. Heavenly Father, I confess that I have sinned against you and ask for your forgiveness. I repent of my ways and turn to you for guidance. In Jesus name, Amen.
2. Lord, I know that I am not perfect and I ask for your forgiveness. Please help me to overcome the sin in my life. In Jesus name, Amen.
3. Father, I have failed you and I am sorry. Please forgive me and help me to do better. In Jesus name, Amen.
4. Heavenly Father, I ask for your forgiveness and strength to overcome the sin in my life. Take away every negative feelings in me Lord. In Jesus name, Amen.
5. Lord, I repent of my ways and ask for your forgiveness. Please help me to let go of my past and to develop a strong positive emotions towards my co worker and family member. Let my life be pleasing to you. In Jesus name, Amen.
The power to forgive others can do you more good and make you focus on important things in life. It will also help you to live a much better, happier, and more fulfilling life.
Without anger, resentment, and bitterness, you can focus on positive things, build good relationships, and live a wonderful and positive life.
Our ability to be forgiven is directly related to our willingness to forgive others. Forgiveness also requires us to let go of ill will and replace it with good will.
So choose today to live in such a way that will be pleasing to the father. Be willing to forgive your enemies, and pray for them. When you do this, you will be surprised as to what God will do in your own life.
“Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the lord” ( Romans 12:19 )
A Call To action
If you are struggling to forgive someone who has hurt you, I encourage you to pray and ask God for help. If your Father in Heaven had already forgiven you, then extend that same forgiveness to others. Let us all strive to live in a spirit of forgiveness.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the power of forgiveness mean?
The power of forgiveness is the ability to let go of anger and resentment towards someone who has hurt you. It means extending compassion and understanding instead of judgement.
How to ask for forgiveness in a relationship?
Forgiveness is an important aspect of any relationship. Without forgiveness, it can be very difficult to move forward and grow together as a couple.
To ask for forgiveness in your relationship, try taking responsibility for your actions or mistakes when you have hurt your partner.
You can also find meaningful ways to show how sorry you are by making amends or doing something special for your partner.
Finally, be patient and understanding while your partner processes their feelings and decides whether or not they are ready to forgive you.
How to ask God for forgiveness when you keep sinning?
The bible makes it clear that we must not return to our old ways of sinning. So make every conscious effort to not go back to your vomit like a dog.
Instead, turn to God and ask for His forgiveness. Confess your sins to Him and forsake them. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).
What if I forgive but the person doesn’t change?
The most important thing is that you have forgiven them. You can’t make them change, that’s their choice. Just know that you did what God asked you to do and He will take care of the rest.
Verse Of The Day
Acts 3:19 - "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord."