20 Important Bible Verses About Abortion KJV
With the recent Roe v Wade decision overturned by the supreme court, abortion has become a hot-button topic in America.
Pro-choice and pro-life advocates have been vocal in sharing their respective positions on abortion. The abortion debate is highly emotional and divisive. Many feel very strongly one way or another about abortion.
Regarding the abortion debate, people often look to the Bible for guidance. Several Bible verses speak to the issue of abortion.
See also: Bible Verses About Marriage and Love
- What Is Abortion?
- Is Abortion a Sin?
- What does the Bible say about abortion?
- Does God forgive abortion?
- Bible Verses About Abortion KJV
- Pro Life Bible Verses
- Other Related Verses
- 15 Quotes On Abortion
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Abortion?
Before looking at Bible verses about Abortion, it is essential to understand what Abortion is. Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy by removing the fetus from the womb. Abortion can be done through various methods, including surgical abortion or medical abortion.
Medical abortion is also called chemical Abortion because it involves using medication to end the pregnancy.
Surgical Abortion is a procedure that a doctor performs to end a pregnancy. This abortion can be done through various methods, including suction Abortion, dilation and curettage, or dilation and evacuation.
Is Abortion a Sin?
There is much debate over whether or not abortion is a sin. Those who are for life believe that abortion is murder and a sin.
Those pro-choice believe that a woman has the right to choose what happens to her body, which is technically accurate. They also believe that abortion should be an option for those who do not want to continue their pregnancy.
Even though the Bible does not explicitly mention abortion, I believe abortion is a sin and should be avoided at all costs where possible.
The Bible makes it very clear that life begins at conception. When a woman becomes pregnant, life is growing inside her.
"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them."
This verse shows that even before birth, God knows us and has a plan for our lives. Abortion goes against God's plan for life and is therefore a sin.
What does the Bible say about abortion?
While the Bible does not explicitly mention abortion, several verses in the Bible apply to abortion.
This passage says, "If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman's husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot."
While this passage does not explicitly mention abortion, it does show that God values human life. The penalty for causing a premature birth is the same as the penalty for causing injury or death.
Does God forgive abortion?
There is no sin that God cannot forgive except the sin against the Holy Spirit. If you have had an abortion, know that God can and will forgive you if you first confess your sin before Him with a repentant heart and then ask for forgiveness.
1 John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
If you or someone you know has had an abortion, help is available. Many organizations offer support and counselling for those struggling with the aftermath of abortion. These organizations can help you to heal from your abortion and move on with your life.
Bible Verses About Abortion KJV
- Proverbs 6:16-19 - "There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers."
- Exodus 21:22-25 - "When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman's husband shall impose on him, and he shall pay as the judges determine. But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot."
- Luke 1:15 - "For he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb."
- Isaiah 44:2 - "Thus says the Lord who made you, who formed you from the womb and will help you:"
- Isaiah 49:1 - "Listen to me, O coastlands, and give attention, you peoples from afar. The Lord called me from the womb, from the body of my mother he made my name known."
- Job 31:15 - "Did not he who made me in the womb make him? And did not one fashion us in the womb?"
- Psalm 22:9-10 - "Yet you are he who took me from the womb; you made me trust you at my mother's breasts. On you was I cast from the womb; you are my God from my mother's belly."
- Luke 23:29 - "For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck."
- Exodus 23:7 - "Keep thee far from a false matter; and the innocent and righteous slay thou not: for I will not justify the wicked."
- Luke 1:44 - "For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy."
- Galatians 1:15 - "But when He who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by His grace."
See also: Bible Verses About Depression
Pro Life Bible Verses
- Exodus 20:13 - "Thou shalt not kill."
- Luke 1:41 - "And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:"
- Ecclesiastes 11:5 - "As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all."
- Psalm 22:10 - "I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly."
- Psalm 127:3-5 - "Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate."
- Isaiah 49:5 - "And now, saith the Lord that formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, Though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the Lord, and my God shall be my strength."
- Numbers 12:12 - "Let her not be as one dead, of whom the flesh is half consumed when he cometh out of his mother’s womb."
- Hosea 9:16 - "Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb."
- Acts 7:19 - "The same dealt subtilly with our kindred, and evil entreated our fathers, so that they cast out their young children, to the end they might not live."
- Psalms 127:3 - "Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward."
- Deuteronomy 30:19 - "I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live."
"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."
"If she has made herself impure and been unfaithful to her husband, this will be the result: When she is made to drink the water that brings a curse and causes bitter suffering, it will enter her, her abdomen will swell and her womb will miscarry, and she will become a curse. If, however, the woman has not made herself impure, but is clean, she will be cleared of guilt and will be able to have children."
"Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court."
"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!"
15 Quotes On Abortion
- "The Bible is a pro-life book, and our God is a pro-life God." - Jess Ford
- "Our abortion law does not protect women, it makes them victims." - Unknown
- "Abortion is a reflection that we have failed to meet the needs of women." - Unknown
- "In biblical terms, the sanctity of human life is rooted and grounded in creation. Mankind is not viewed as a cosmic accident but as the product of a carefully executed creation by an eternal God. Human dignity is derived from God. Man as a finite, dependent, contingent creature is assigned a high value by his Creator." - R.C. Sproul
- "From conception to our final breath on this earth, all life is a sacred gift from Almighty God. It must be cherished in our hearts and protected through our actions, both in our capacity as individuals and also through our laws and policies as a nation." - Dr. James Dobson
- "Abortion has resulted in the deaths of over 60 million unborn children in America alone. It's time for the church to take a stand against this atrocity and be a voice for those who cannot speak for themselves." - Unknown
- "…Christians must equip themselves with the Word of God to preach and proclaim the glory of humanity enshrined in God’s creative mandate. Human beings at every stage of life, bear the image of God. To destroy image bearers intentionally is an act of high treason against the glory of our God who made man and woman in his image—an image that begins at conception. Christians need to contend for the sanctity of human life by equipping themselves with the powerful Word of the living God." - R. Albert Mohler Jr.
- "Every human life is created in God’s image, and that makes it sacred." - Unknown
- "The Bible makes it clear that God sees the unborn infant not as a piece of superfluous biological tissue, but as a person created by Him for life." - Billy Graham
- "We walked out with only one path ahead. Life. We didn’t need more tests, more counselling, or more information. Levi deserved life, not primarily because of the joy he could bring us nor his potential quality of life, but supremely because God says his life has value, worth, and purpose. Period." - Jared Mulvihill
- "I believe abortion should be illegal in every state and country. Every human has a right to life, no matter how small or weak." - Unknown
- "Is the unborn a member of the human family? If so, killing him or her to benefit others is a serious moral wrong. It treats the distinct human being with their own inherent moral worth as nothing more than a disposable instrument. Conversely, if the unborn are not human, elective abortion requires no more justification than having a tooth pulled." - Unknown
- "Psalm 139 is perhaps the quintessential text for discussing the sanctity of life. In this psalm, David praises God for his creation in his mother’s womb. Theologically, this psalm leaves no doubt that the child in the womb is a living being, with days ahead of him already marked out by God. Our God is deeply and actively involved in our creation. Theologically, life begins at conception." - Matt Chandler
- "The Bible tells us that humans are made 'in the image of God and in His likeness (Genesis 1:27). Since we are made in God's likeness, we have a tremendous capacity to participate in God's ongoing work of creation by imagining, inventing, building, farming and a million other creative expressions. He invites us to marry and to receive the gift of children also formed in God's image." - Unknown
Frequently Asked Questions
When does life begin, according to the bible?
The bible is clear that life begins at conception. Jeremiah 1:5 says, "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."
Psalm 127:3-5 says, "Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward."
What does the Bible say about babies in the womb?
There are a few bible passages that tell us that God values every life, including those still in the womb. For example, Psalm Psalm 139:13-14 says;
"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."
This verse shows that God values every human life, including those still in the womb.
What does the Bible say about the killing of the innocent?
A few bible passages show that God is against killing the innocent.
Proverbs 6:16-17 says, "There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood."
Exodus 23:7 says "Keep far from a false charge, and do not kill the innocent and righteous, for I will not acquit the guilty."
What does the bible say about taking care of the unborn?
The bible commands us to take care of the unborn. Psalm 22:9-10 says, "Yet you are he who took me from the womb; you made me trust you at my mother's breasts. On you was I cast from the womb."
And Isaiah 44:2 says, "Thus says the Lord who made you, who formed you from the womb and will help you:"
God commands us to take care of the unborn.
We hope you have been blessed by our collection of important bible verses about abortion; what does the Bible say about abortion?
I pray that God will help us to obey His commandment and avoid costly mistakes in our life. In the mighty name of Jesus Christ, Amen!