In this post, we will be sharing with you some bible verses about friendship, Christian friendship quotes and what does the word of God says about friendship. What steps do we need to take in choosing the right friends or people we relate with? How do we go about treating others?
This and many more questions we hope these bible verses about friendship will assist us in answering them. Let your mind be opened as you read these verses and I pray that these words ministers to your spirit.
Bible Verses About Friendship KJV
And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
3 John 1:14
But I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to face. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Greet the friends by name.
And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
1 Samuel 20:1
And David fled from Naioth in Ramah, and came and said before Jonathan, What have I done? what is mine iniquity? and what is my sin before thy father, that he seeketh my life?
Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.
And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.
A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.
And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go:
Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
Thine own friend, and thy father’s friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother’s house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off.
He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.
He that blesseth his friend with a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted a curse to him.
Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves; For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him? And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee. I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Jesus Commandment on Friendship
The book of John 15:12-15 describes what Jesus has to say about friendship and how we ought to relate with one another.
1. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you – John 15:12
2. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends – John 15:13
3. You are my friends if you do what I command – John 15:14
4. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you – John 15:15
How Christians Should Pick Their Friends
The books of Proverbs and 1 Corinthians gives us insight on why we need to make sure we have the right kind of friends.
1. Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character. – 1 Cor 15:33
2. Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared. – Proverbs 22: 24-25
3. The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them astray. – Proverbs 12:26
4. Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble. – Proverbs 13:20
How Christians Should Treat Their Friends
Below are some bible verses on what the bible says on how friends should treat each other.
1. Do to others as you would have them do to you. – Luke 6:31
2. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. – Romans 12:10
3. Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. – Colossians 3:12
4. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. – Colossians 3:13
5. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. – Colossians 3:14
6. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. – Ephesians 4:29
7. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. – Ephesians 4:30
8. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. – Ephesians 4:31
9. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. – Ephesians 4:32
Importance of Godly Friendships
As Christians, it is important we maintain Godly friendships or Godly relationships in our life. Below are some bible verses on what the bible says about the importance of godly friendship.
- As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. – Proverbs 27:17
- A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need. – Proverbs 17:17
- Without wise leadership, a nation falls; there is safety in having many advisers. – Proverbs 11:14
- The wise are mightier than the strong, and those with knowledge grow stronger and stronger. – Proverbs 24:5
- Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life. – Proverbs 19:20
Best Friend Captions
Below are two of my favorite true friendship captions that will inspire you:
1. My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.
2. True friends show up in your time of need, not in happiness.
What does the Bible say about true friends?
True friends are a blessing from God. They are loyal and supportive, and they will always be there for you when you need them. They are a source of comfort and encouragement, and they will help you grow in your faith.
If you are lucky enough to have a true friend, be sure to cherish them and thank God for them every day.
What is a godly friendship?
A godly friendship is a friendship between two people who share the same beliefs and values. This type of friendship is based on trust, respect, and loyalty.
Godly friendships are built on a foundation of mutual love and support.
These types of friendships are rare, but they are the most rewarding and fulfilling relationships you can have.
What does the Bible teach about friendship?
Friendship is a valuable thing, and the Bible has a lot to say about it. Proverbs 17:17, says, “A friend loves at all times.” This means that a true friend will always be there for you, no matter what. They will be your support system during good times and bad.
Examples of Friendships In The Bible
1. Elijah and Elisha
“Elijah said to Elisha, Stay here; the LORD has sent me to Bethel. But Elisha said, As surely as the LORD lives and as you live, I will not leave you. So they went down to Bethel.” – 2 Kings 2:2
2. David and Jonathan
“After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself. From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return to his father’s house. And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself.” – 1 Samuel 18:1-3
3. Ruth and Naomi
“But Ruth replied, Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.” – Ruth 1: 16-17
We hope you have been blessed by this topic on bible verses about friendship. Don’t forget to also checkout our blog section for more frequently asked bible questions and quizzes.
- Bible Verses About Standing Up For Others KJV
- Bible Verses About Brotherhood KJV
- Bible Verses About Missing Someone KJV
- Bible Verses About Kindness KJV
- Bible Verses About Loyalty KJV