50 Inspiring Bible Verses about Helping Others in Times of Need
In this post, we will be looking at a collection of bible verses about helping others, Bible verses about caring for others in their time of need as Christians. These collection also covers bible verses about helping the poor, as well as bible verses about helping the homeless.
Whilst the word of God exhort us to generally help others (and there are numerous verses that do this!), there are also some certain groups of people that the bible draws our attention to. For example, the bible draws our attention to the orphaned, the sick, the oppressed, widows, the weak among us, and the poor. As Christians, we are encouraged not to hold back from helping these individuals, regardless of their faith, beliefs or ethnicity.
What Does Isaiah 61:1-3 Mean?
Jesus began his ministry in Nazareth on a Sabbath day by expounding on a passage from Isaiah (Isaiah 61:1-3), after he had been baptized and tempted in the wilderness by the devil (Luke 4:1-13). This was the beginning of Christ’s teaching, towards those who were been oppressed and in need. His ministry also focused on the poor, the broken-hearted and those enchained.
Luke 4:18-19 – The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because I am marked out by him to give good news to the poor; he has sent me to make well those who are broken-hearted; to say that the prisoners will be let go, and the blind will see, and to make the wounded free from their chains, to give knowledge that the year of the Lord’s good pleasure is come.
The Parable of the Good Samaritan
The story of the good Samaritan is an intriguing story in the bible. Here Jesus teaches us to help one another irrespective of our faith or religious believes. In those days, Samaritans and the Jews despised each other, however a Samaritan goes out of his way to help a beaten up and robbed Jewish traveler who was left half dead by the roadside. He offers him first-aid, pays for his care and well-being and leaves him with two denarii.
And who is my neighbor
Luke 10:29-37 – But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” Jesus replied, A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan while traveling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend. Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers? He said, The one who showed him mercy. Jesus said to him, Go and do likewise.
Matthew 25:34-40 Meaning
This scripture implies here that when you help and respond to those in need, you do this to Christ. This underlines the importance of the value we place on each other, that we are made in the image of God and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, regardless of our wealth or position. In today’s society, we revere those it regards as celebrities, famous, beautiful, or wealthy and belittle the less privileged once.
Then will the King say to those on his right, Come, you who have the blessing of my Father, into the kingdom made ready for you before the world was: For I was in need of food, and you gave it to me: I was in need of drink, and you gave it to me: I was wandering, and you took me in; I had no clothing, and you gave it to me: when I was ill, or in prison, you came to me.
Then will the upright make answer to him, saying, Lord, when did we see you in need of food, and give it to you? or in need of drink, and give it to you? And when did we see you wandering, and take you in? or without clothing, and give it to you? And when did we see you ill, or in prison, and come to you? And the King will make answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Because you did it to the least of these my brothers, you did it to me. – Matthew 25:34-40 (BBE).
Bible Verses about Helping Others
1. My whole being will exclaim, Who is like you, 0 LORD? You rescue the poor from those too strong for them, the poor and needy from those who rob them. – Psalm 35:10 (NIV)
2. because I rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist him. – Job 29:12 (NIV)
This is Job’s recounts of how he helped the fatherless and poor in their time of need.
3. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? – 1 John 3:17 (NIV)
4. Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. – Galatians 6:1 (NIV)
We are to look out for each other in our spiritual development as well. Here Paul the Apostle also teaches us that our help should not just be physical needs but also spiritual growth.
5. A father of the fatherless, and a defender of the widows, is God in his holy habitation. – Psalm 68:5 (WEB)
6. For there will never be a time when there are no poor in the land; and so I give orders to you, Let your hand be open to your countrymen, to those who are poor and in need in your land. – Deuteronomy 15:11 (WEB)
7. We are exhorted to look out for each others needs, not just our own – Philippians 2:4 (CPDV)
Here God expects us not to look out for just our own interest alone, but to also look out for the interest of others.
8. This is my commandment, that you love one another, even as I have loved you. – John 15:12 (WEB). The source of all of this is love, the agape love of God.
Bible Verses about Helping the Poor
9. Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed. – Proverbs 19:17 (ESV)
11. Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him. – Proverbs 14:31 (ESV)
12. Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor. – Proverbs 22:9 (ESV)
13. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you. – Matthew 5:42 ESV
14. Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse. – Proverbs 28:27 (ESV)
Bible Verses about Helping the Homeless
15. Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter – when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? – Isaiah 58:7
16. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just. – Luke 14:13-14
17. Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done. – Proverbs 19:17
18. Now in case a countryman of yours becomes poor and his means among you falter, then you are to sustain him, like a stranger or a resident, so that he may live with you. Do not take any kind of interest from him, but fear your God, so that your countryman may live with you. – Leviticus 25:35-36
19. But Jesus replied, Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head. – Matthew 8:20
20. Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon. – Isaiah 58:10
Bible Verses About Caring For Others KJV
Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
Galatians 6:9-10 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
Hebrews 13:16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
Isaiah 25:4 For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.
Romans 15:2-3 Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification. For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.
Proverbs 3:27-28 Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it. Say not unto thy neighbour, Go, and come again, and to morrow I will give; when thou hast it by thee.
Ephesians 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
Acts 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
Proverbs 31:8-9 Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction. Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.
Exodus 17:12 But Moses hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
Proverbs 29:7 The righteous considereth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not to know it.
James 2:14-17 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
Matthew 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
Hebrews 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
Luke 12:33-34 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
We hope that you have learnt so much from these collection of bible verses about helping others in their time of need, bible verses about caring for others, bible verses about helping the poor, as well as bible verses about helping the homeless. Don’t forget to also checkout our blog section for more frequently asked bible questions and quizzes.