27 Bible Verses About Oppression KJV
In this article, we will be sharing with you some powerful bible verses about oppression. Oppression can be defined as the unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power. It can also be seen as an act of disturbing someone's peace by using one's authority.
The bible is full of verses that talk about oppression and how God hates it. In fact, He is always against those who oppress His people. Here are some of the verses that talk about oppression:
See also: Bible Verses About Justice and Fairness
Bible Verses About Oppression KJV
- Isaiah 3:12 - "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths."
- Proverbs 22:22 - "Rob not the poor, because he is poor: neither oppress the afflicted in the gate:"
- Ezekiel 45:9 - "Thus saith the Lord GOD; Let it suffice you, O princes of Israel: remove violence and spoil, and execute judgment and justice, take away your exactions from my people, saith the Lord GOD"
- Ecclesiastes 5:8 - "If thou seest the oppression of the poor, and violent perverting of judgment and justice in a province, marvel not at the matter: for he that is higher than the highest regardeth; and there be higher than they"
- Psalms 10:17-18 - "LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear: To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress"
- Ecclesiastes 4:1 - "So I returned, and considered all the oppressions that are done under the sun: and behold the tears of such as were oppressed, and they had no comforter; and on the side of their oppressors there was power; but they had no comforter"
- Proverbs 14:31 - "He that oppresseth the poor reproacheth his Maker: but he that honoureth him hath mercy on the poor"
- Zechariah 7:10 - "And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart"
- Malachi 3:5 - "And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts."
- Psalms 9:9 - "The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble"
- Psalms 119:134 - "Deliver me from the oppression of man: so will I keep thy precepts"
- Ecclesiastes 7:7 - "Surely oppression maketh a wise man mad; and a gift destroyeth the heart"
- Proverbs 28:3 - "A poor man that oppresseth the poor is like a sweeping rain which leaveth no food"
- James 2:6 - "But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?"
- Proverbs 3:31 - "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways"
- Ezekiel 22:29 - "The people of the land have used oppression, and exercised robbery, and have vexed the poor and needy: yea, they have oppressed the stranger wrongfully"
- Psalms 74:21 - "O let not the oppressed return ashamed: let the poor and needy praise thy name"
Bible Verses About Deliverance From Oppression
- Habakkuk 2:9 - "Woe to him that coveteth an evil covetousness to his house, that he may set his nest on high, that he may be delivered from the power of evil!"
- Psalms 72:4 - "He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor."
- Deuteronomy 23:15-16 - "Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee: He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him"
- Jeremiah 21:12 - "O house of David, thus saith the LORD; Execute judgment in the morning, and deliver him that is spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor, lest my fury go out like fire, and burn that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings"
- Micah 2:1-3 - "Woe to them that devise iniquity, and work evil upon their beds! when the morning is light, they practise it, because it is in the power of their hand. And they covet fields, and take them by violence; and houses, and take them away: so they oppress a man and his house, even a man and his heritage. Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, against this family do I devise an evil, from which ye shall not remove your necks; neither shall ye go haughtily: for this time is evil"
- Isaiah 33:15-16 - "He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil; He shall dwell on high: his place of defence shall be the munitions of rocks: bread shall be given him; his waters shall be sure"
- Exodus 22:21-24 - "Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt. Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry; And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless"
- Matthew 23:2-4 - "Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers"
- Psalms 12:5 - "For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him"
- Deuteronomy 24:14-15 - "Thou shalt not oppress an hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be of thy brethren, or of thy strangers that are in thy land within thy gates: At his day thou shalt give him his hire, neither shall the sun go down upon it; for he is poor, and setteth his heart upon it: lest he cry against thee unto the LORD, and it be sin unto thee"
- Isaiah 58:6 - "Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?"
- Amos 8:4-6 - "Hear this, O ye that swallow up the needy, even to make the poor of the land to fail, Saying, When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell corn? and the sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit? That we may buy the poor for silver, and the needy for a pair of shoes; yea, and sell the refuse of the wheat?"
- Amos 5:11-12 - "Forasmuch therefore as your treading is upon the poor, and ye take from him burdens of wheat: ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not dwell in them; ye have planted pleasant vineyards, but ye shall not drink wine of them. For I know your manifold transgressions and your mighty sins: they afflict the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside the poor in the gate from their right"
Bible Verses About Speaking Up For the Oppressed
- Proverbs 31:8-9: "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."
- Isaiah 1:17: "Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow."
- Micah 6:8: "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
- Amos 5:24: "But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!"
- Luke 4:18-19: "The Spirit of the Lord is on me because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."
- James 1:27: "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
- Leviticus 19:15: "Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly."
We hope that you have been blessed by our collection of important bible verses about obedience KJV, what does the Bible say about obedience?
FAQs About Oppression
What does the Bible say about justice for the oppressed?
The Bible is clear that God is always on the side of justice. He will always fight for those who are oppressed and make sure that they are given the justice that they deserve. In fact, one of the main reasons why He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, was to bring justice to the world.
What does oppressed mean in the Bible?
Oppression refers to the unjust treatment, suffering, or control exercised over a group or individuals by more powerful entities. The Bible discusses various forms of oppression, including the mistreatment of the poor, the disadvantaged, and the marginalized, as well as the abuse of power by political or religious leaders.
Does the Bible condone or condemn oppression?
The Bible primarily condemns oppression and exhorts its followers to care for the vulnerable and marginalized in society. Verses such as Proverbs 31:8-9, Isaiah 1:17, and James 1:27 emphasize the importance of justice, mercy, and caring for those in need. However, some passages in the Old Testament may seem to condone certain forms of oppression or violence, which must be understood in their historical and cultural contexts.
Leave a Reply