25 Bible Verses On Mercy Of God
The Bible is filled with verses that tell of God's mercy. These verses speak of a kind, forgiving, and loving God who is always ready to show compassion to us.
These aren't just words on a page, but a promise that echoes throughout time, serving as a constant reminder of the divine love that embraces humanity.
God's mercy transcends the boundaries of human comprehension—it's about the Father's kindness and compassion, a love so vast that it encompasses the whole earth.
Despite our flaws and countless mistakes, God chooses to withhold our the deserved punishment and instead offers forgiveness and redemption by sending His only son to die on the cross for our sins.
Before we share our list of Bible verses on mercy of God, let's understand what the word 'mercy' means in the Bible.
What Does The Bible Say About Mercy?
Mercy in the Bible is all about kindness and compassion. It is about God choosing not to punish us for our mistakes, even when we deserve it. Instead, God offers us love and forgiveness. This mercy comes not from anything we've done, but because of God's great love for us.
This is evident in John 3:16 which says;
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life"
Jesus Christ, God's son, is the perfect example of this mercy. He took the punishment for our mistakes on himself, showing us the ultimate act of mercy by sacrificing His own life. Because of this, we are not only forgiven but also called to live our lives in a way that honors God by also showing mercy to others.
25 Bible Verses About Mercy Of God
- Titus 3:5 - "He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy."
- Isaiah 30:18 - "Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!"
- Daniel 9:9 - "The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him."
- Psalm 23:6 - "Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
- Matthew 5:7 - "Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."
- 2 John 1:3 - "Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, will be with us in truth and love."
- Deuteronomy 4:31 - "For the Lord your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your ancestors, which he confirmed to them by oath."
- Luke 6:36 - "Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."
- Psalm 25:6-7 - "Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you, Lord, are good."
- 2 Samuel 24:14 - "David said to Gad, “I am in deep distress. Let us fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into human hands.”
- Psalm 145:8 - "The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love."
- Ephesians 2:4-5 - "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved."
- Luke 1:50 - "His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation."
- Proverbs 28:13 - "Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy."
- Matthew 9:13 - "But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
- Psalm 130:1-2 - "Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy."
- Hebrews 4:14-16 - "Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."
- 1 Peter 1:3 - "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead."
- Romans 9:15 - "For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”
- Deuteronomy 7:9 - "Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments."
- Micah 6:8 - "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
- James 2:13 - "Because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment."
- Psalm 51:1-2 - "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin."
- Micah 7:18-19 - "Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea."
- Jude 1:2 - "Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance."
10 Bible Quotes About Mercy
- "God's mercy is so great that you may sooner drain the sea of its water, or deprive the sun of its light, or make space too narrow, than diminish the great mercy of God." - Charles Spurgeon
- "God does not give us everything we want, but He does fulfill His promises, leading us along the best and straightest paths to Himself." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- "God's mercy to us is the motivation for showing mercy to others. Remember, you will never be asked to forgive someone else more than God has forgiven you." - Rick Warren
- "We get no deeper into Christ than we allow him to get in us." - John Piper
- "God has a purpose behind every problem. He uses circumstances to develop our character." - Rick Warren
- "God's mercy is fresh and new every morning." - Joyce Meyer
- "I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice." - Abraham Lincoln
- "God delights in mercy, and pardon for sin flows copiously from his infinite goodness." - John Bunyan
- "The only people who don't make mistakes are those who never try anything. God's mercy is bigger than any mistake you've made." - Joyce Meyer
- "Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound." - Charles Spurgeon
Final Thoughts On The 25 Bible Verses On Mercy Of God
These verses we have outlined above reminds us of God's never-ending mercy. We are taught that no matter what we've done, God's mercy is bigger. God is always ready to forgive us and welcome us back with open arms only if we truly repent of of our ways.
In short, God's mercy is a great gift to humanity. It's a sign of his love and his desire for us to live a good live. By reading and meditating on these verses, we can understand God's mercy even better.
This understanding can help us live our lives better, showing kindness and forgiveness to others, just as God does to us. God's mercy truly is a light in the darkness, guiding us on the path of love and goodness.
FAQs On God's Mercy and Compassion
Where Can I find Cry for Mercy Bible Verse?
Psalm 130:1-2 - "Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy."
How can we receive God's mercy?
According to the teachings of the Bible, we receive God's mercy through faith in Jesus Christ. By believing in His death and resurrection, confessing our sins, and asking for forgiveness, we can access the mercy of God.
What Psalm Can I read for mercy?
There are many Psalms that you can read for mercy, including Psalm 6, Psalm 9, and Psalm 51. Each of these Psalms offers a personal prayer to God, seeking His help and guidance during difficult times. If you are looking for a specific Psalm to pray for mercy, you may want to consider reading Psalm 103.
Who said "son of David have mercy on me"?
The phrase "Son of David, have mercy on me" is found in the New Testament of the Bible and was said by a blind man named Bartimaeus. The specific passage can be found in Mark 10:46-52.