In this post, we will be looking at a collection of over 32 deep bible verses about self-control over anxiety, anger, emotions etc whilst avoid sinning against God. We will also be answering frequently asked questions such as what does the bible say about self control, short bible verses on self control.
When we learn to have full control of our self, then the promises of God takes over. God’s promises are numerous, some of which are been prosperous, successful, increase in spiritual growth, live a healthy life and many more.
So I encourage you to reflect on each of these bible verses on self control, what the bible says about having self control and apply it daily in your life so you can reach your full potential as well as fulfill God’s plan and purpose for your destiny.
Deep Bible Verses About Self-Control
What is the meaning of Self Control?
A self controlled mind is a free mind, and freedom is power. I call that mind free which jealously guards its intellectual rights and powers. I call that mind free which resists the bondage of habit, which does not live on its old virtues, but forgets what is behind, and rejoices to pour itself forth in fresh and higher exertions.
How do you pray for self control?
Dear God, I come before your presence today to ask for power to control my mind and heart, and that I may not be a slave to habits that may keeps me away from your eternal love and blessings. Help me Lord to have sympathy and compassion for others around me, and to cherish thy tenderness and mercy as I hold it in my daily life. Amen.
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
What did Jesus say about control?
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. – Romans 8:28. One of the ways of showing your love for God is to have self control over your mind and thoughts. When you are able to control your mind from evil thoughts or sinful thoughts, you invite God’s blessings into your life.
What Does The Bible Say About Self Control?
1. Like a city whose walls are broken through is a person who lacks self-control. – Proverbs 25:28
2. For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. – 2 timothy 1:7
3. Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city. – Proverbs 16:32
4. Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. – 1 Timothy 3:2-3
5. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. – Galatians 5:22-23
6. The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. – Proverbs 18:21
7. My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. – James 1:19
8. No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. – 1 Corinthians 10:13
9. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. – 1 Thessalonians 5:6
10. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will. – Romans 12:2
Bible Verses on Self Control
11. Fools show their annoyance at once, but the prudent overlook an insult. – Proverbs 12:16
12. For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say no to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age. – Titus 2:11-12
13. Though you probe my heart, though you examine me at night and test me, you will find that I have planned no evil; my mouth has not transgressed. – Psalm 17:3
14. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. – 1 corinthians 9:27
15. Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end. – Proverbs 29:11
16. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. – 1 corinthians 9:25
17. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. – Ephesians 6:12
18. I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman. – Job 31:1
19. Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. – 2 john 1:8
20. Do not turn to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil. – Proverbs 4:27
Self-Control Bible Quotes
21. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. – Matthew 6:34
22. Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. – Galatians 6:7
23. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord. – Ephesians 5:18-19
24. The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. – 1 peter 4:7
25. Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. – Psalm 141:3
26. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. – Romans 6:12
27. Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. – 1 corinthians 7:5
28. He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth. – Isaiah 53:7
29. But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. – Luke 6:27-29
30. But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. – Matthew 5:39-40
31. Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity. – Proverbs 21:23
32. A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly. – Proverbs 14:29