America is a nation with so much history in its books. So how much of the American history do you still remember or know?
Check out our American history trivia questions and answers to find out and learn more on what you didn’t know.
American History Trivia Questions and Answers
1. The Battle of ____ took place on January 3, 1777.
2. Who established the first English colony in North America?
Answer: John Smith
3. The President of the Senate is the ____ of the USA.
Answer: Vice President
4. Who fought on the side of General Howe and the British in the battles of New York?
Answer: The Hessians
5. The Atlantic Charter’ was the first step to forming what organisation?
Answer: The United Nations
6. By total area, the USA is the ____ largest country in the world.
7. Chester Arthur was a member of which party?
Answer: The Republican Party
8. Although he had never completed high school, Abraham Lincoln was a ____ in his youth.
9. What was the decisive moment of the Battle of Gettysburg?
Answer: Pickett’s Charge
10. How many paragraphs are there in the Constitution of the USA?
11. The famous ‘Liberty’ ship was confiscated by the custom officials. What was the name of the ship owner?
Answer: John Hancock
12. How many US presidents have been from the Republican Party as at 2022?
13. The first atomic bomb was dropped on the city of?
14. The operation of debarking in Normandy was code-named?
15. The independent Republic of Texas was founded in?
16. Which country had been in control of Florida before the Americans occupied it?
17. The second atomic bomb was dropped on the city of?
18. Beside the Caribbean, Spanish-American War was fought where?
Answer: On the Pacific Ocean
19. Who won the Battle of White Plains?
Answer: The British
20. Which U.S. federal law enforcement agency has authority to make arrests overseas?
Answer: The U.S. Marshals Service (USMS)
American History Questions With Answers
21. Who was Grover Cleveland’s Vice President during his second term?
Answer: Adlai Stevenson
22. What did Pullman’s factories manufacture?
Answer: Sleeping cars
23. What name was given to Northerners by Southerners before and during the Civil War?
24. Which country joined the rebels after the Battle of Saratoga?
25. What is the mascot of the Republican Party?
26. James Garfield’s presidential term was the ___ shortest in US history.
27. After the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863, Lincoln dedicated what?
Answer: A National cemetery
28. Article ____ of the USA Constitution names the President of the USA Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces.
29. Who won the famous Battle of Gettysburg?
Answer: The Union
30. In November 1775, the British offered what to the slaves who fought on their side in the American Revolution?
31. What harbor was Fort Sumter built to protect?
Answer: Charleston Harbor
32. James Sherman was the first Vice President to do what in 1911?
Answer: To fly in a plane
33. Abraham Lincoln was a member of the ____ House of Representatives in 1834.
34. What did John Booth exclaimed after the assassination of Lincoln?
Answer: ‘Thus always to tyrants’
35. Defeat in the Battle of Gettysburg was General Lee’s ____ attempt to progress to the North.
36. How many senators from each federal state are there in the Senate?
Answer: 2 senators
37. Who wrote lyrics to the national anthem of the USA?
Answer: Francis Scott Key
38. The first 10 amendments in the Constitution of the USA are called?
Answer: Bill of Rights
39. What is the color of the Democratic Party?
40. One ____ of the overall senators number in the Senate is elected after every two years.
Basic American History Quiz Questions and Answers
41. What was the name of the largest German battleship that was sunk by the British navy?
Answer: The Bismarck
42. Benjamin Franklin was the founder of America’s first?
Answer: Public Lending Library
43. The Emancipation Proclamation applied to ____ states.
44. How old was William Henry Harrison when he became the President of the USA?
45. The strike that broke out during the Economic Crisis of 1983 was known as?
Answer: The Pullman Strike
46. Who was the American commander in the battle of New York in 1776?
Answer: George Washington
47. Who offered to pay damages for the wasted tea during the Boston Tea Party?
Answer: Benjamin Franklin
48. How many executive orders were there in the Emancipation Proclamation?
49. What was the cause of death of Warren Harding?
Answer: Heart attack
50. Who defended John Hancock against charges of being a smuggler?
Answer: John Adams
51. Who was elected speaker of the House of Representative in 2023 after 15 ballots?
Answer: Kevin McCarthy
52. Calvin Coolidge was the ____ President of the USA.
53. What state was annexed by President William McKinley?
54. After the Battle of Shiloh, the Confederate forces had to retreat towards?
55. What is the name of the organization responsible for the Boston Tea Party?
Answer: The Sons of Liberty
56. How many years do US senators serve?
Answer: Six years
57. Who led the Union forces on the eastern front?
Answer: John McClellan
58. Which papers did James Madison write?
Answer: The Federalist Papers
59. James Garfield’s presidency lasted just how many months?
Answer: 4 months
60. At the moment he was elected in the Illinois House of Representatives, Abraham Lincoln was a member of?
Answer: The Whig Party
Ultimate US History Quiz
61. Who succeeded William Henry Harrison as President of the USA?
Answer: John Tyler
62. What battle led to the American Revolution in 1775?
Answer: The Battles of Lexington and Concord
63. Before the American Civil War, the Southern United States relied heavily on?
64. Which US law enforcement agency has jurisdiction over terrorism investigations?
Answer: The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
65. What was named after President William McKinley?
Answer: The highest mountain peak in North America
66. What is the world’s largest international police organization in Central America?
67. Ulysses Grant was named supreme commander of the Union army in what year?
68. John Booth was killed only ____ days after the assassination of President Lincoln.
69. How many terms did George Washington serve as President of the USA?
Answer: 2 terms
70. Abraham Lincoln was ____ when his mother died.
71. A serious economic depression during the presidency of Grover Cleveland began in what year?
72. How many of Abraham Lincoln’s children died while still in their youth?
73. The Upper House of the American Congress is known as?
Answer: The US Senate
74. What did the dissatisfied citizens throw into the water during the Boston Tea Party?
75. On which side did the USA enter the Vietnam war?
Answer: The Republic of Vietnam
76. The first American president to die of natural cause, while being in office, was who?
Answer: William Henry Harrison
77. In the United States, a person must be at least ____ to be President.
78. What is the unofficial mascot of the Democratic Party?
79. What was the name of the American aircraft carrier which was submerged in the Battle of Midway?
80. Which US president signed into law same-sex marriage act in America?
Answer: Joe Biden, in 2022