Arbor Day Trivia 2023
In this article, we will explore the history of Arbor Day and Arbor Day trivia questions and answers to test how much you know about Arbor Day.
Arbor Day is an annual observance celebrated on the last Friday of April, which focuses on the importance of trees and encourages people to plant and care for them.
This day is also a special day celebrated across the world to promote the planting, caring, and conservation of trees. It's marked by various activities, such as tree planting, tree dedications, and community events.
See also: April Trivia Questions and Answers
Arbor Day History
Arbor Day was first observed in Nebraska in 1872, when J. Sterling Morton, a journalist and politician, proposed the idea of a day dedicated to planting trees. The first Arbor Day was a huge success, with over one million trees planted in Nebraska alone.
In the years that followed, Arbor Day spread to other states and eventually became a national holiday. Today, Arbor Day is celebrated in many countries worldwide, with each location putting its unique spin on this holiday.
Arbor Day Trivia Questions and Answers
1. In what country did Arbor Day originate?
2. In which year was the first Arbor Day celebrated in the United States?
3. Who is considered the founder of Arbor Day in the United States?
Answer: J. Sterling Morton
4. Which U.S. state first officially celebrated Arbor Day?
5. On what date is Arbor Day typically celebrated in the United States?
Answer: The last Friday in April
6. What is the purpose of Arbor Day?
Answer: To encourage planting and caring for trees
7. Which tree is commonly associated with Arbor Day in the United States?
Answer: Oak tree
8. What is the state tree of Nebraska, where Arbor Day originated in the U.S.?
9. What popular slogan is often associated with Arbor Day and tree planting?
Answer: Plant a tree, save the Earth
10. Which U.S. president signed a proclamation designating the third Friday in April as National Arbor Day?
Answer: Richard Nixon
11. What is the Latin word for "tree," which is used as the root word for "arbor"?
12. What are the two main types of trees, based on their leaves?
Answer: Deciduous and coniferous
Arbor Day Quiz Questions and Answers
13. What tree-planting organization was founded in Nebraska in 1972?
Answer: The Arbor Day Foundation
14. In which country is the world's largest man-made forest located?
Answer: China (Gansu Province, in the Gobi Desert)
15. What term is used to describe the process of planting a tree by dropping a seedling from an airplane?
Answer: Aerial seeding
16. What is the name of the oldest known tree in the world?
17. What is the tallest tree species in the world?
Answer: Coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens)
18. What is the name of the process by which trees absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen?
19. What is the world's oldest living tree species?
Answer: Ginkgo biloba
20. Which famous environmentalist and author wrote "The Lorax," a children's book emphasizing the importance of tree conservation?
Answer: Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel)
21. How many trees were planted in Nebraska the first year?
Answer: More than one million trees
22. What is the record for most trees planted in a day?
Answer: 23,060 trees in 24 hours
23. What is the most trees planted in one hour in record?
Answer: Over 200,000 trees
24. Which country planted most trees in an hour?
25. What is the fastest growing tree in the world?
Answer: Albizia in Hawaiʻi