How much do you know about St. Patrick’s Day celebration? Check out our St. Patrick’s Day trivia questions and answers to find out.
St. Patrick was a Christian missionary and the patron saint of Ireland. He is credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland and establishing monasteries, churches, and schools throughout the country.
St. Patrick’s Day Trivia Questions and Answers
1. What color is traditionally associated with St. Patrick’s Day?
Answer: The official color of St. Patrick’s Day is green.
2. On what day is St. Patrick’s Day celebrated?
Answer: St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated on March 17th.
3. What country is St. Patrick’s Day celebrated in?
Answer: St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated primarily in Ireland and by Irish communities around the world.
4. Which Irish city hosts Europe’s largest Saint Patrick’s’ Day festival each year, attracting over 550,000 visitors annually?
5. How long does the annual Saint Patrick’s Day parade in Dublin, Ireland last for?
Answer: The parade lasts for about two hours
6. What is the Irish name for St. Patrick’s Day?
Answer: The Irish name for St. Patrick’s Day is Lá Fhéile Pádraig.
7. In which US city is the world’s oldest continuously-held St Patrick’s Day parade held every year since 1762?
Answer: New York City
8. When did St. Patrick die?
Answer: According to history, March 17th A.D. 465
9. What image appears on the flag of Northern Ireland and is considered a national symbol there due to its Celtic origins and association with Saint Patrick himself?
Answer: The red hand of Ulster
10. What is the traditional food served on St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland?
Answer: Ham and cabbage
Questions To Ask About St. Patrick’s Day with Answers
11. What is the traditional Irish folk music instrument called?
Answer: The traditional Irish folk music instrument is called the uilleann pipes. The uilleann pipes are a type of bagpipe that are played by inflating a leather bag with the elbow and using a set of bellows to blow air into the instrument.
12. What iconic structure in London is lit green on St. Patrick’s Day?
Answer: The London Eye
13. What is the actual Irish Gaelic name for Ireland?
Answer: The Irish Gaelic name for Ireland is Éire.
14. What is the ancient Gaelic alphabet called?
Answer: The ancient Gaelic alphabet is called Ogham. Ogham is a system of writing that was used in Ireland and parts of Scotland and Wales in the 4th to 6th centuries.
15. What was the name of St. Patrick at birth?
Answer: St. Patrick’s birth name was Maewyn Succat. He later changed his name to Patrick when he became a bishop.
16. Who was the first Irishman to be elected President of the United States?
Answer: The first Irishman to be elected President of the United States was John F. Kennedy. Kennedy was the 35th President of the United States and served from 1961 to 1963.
17. When was the first St. Patrick’s Day parade held in America?
Answer: It is believed it was 1762 in New York.
18. Who was the first American president to attend the St. Patrick’s Day parade?
Answer: President Truman, in 1948
19. Which river in America is dyed green in celebration of St Patrick’s Day?
Answer: The Chicago River
20. What St. Patrick’s Day traditional food was invented by America?
Answer: Corned Beef and Cabbage
Ireland Trivia Questions and Answers
21. What is the national symbol of Ireland?
Answer: The national symbol of Ireland is the harp and Shamrock.
22. What is the Irish flag called?
Answer: The Irish flag is called the Tricolour (Bratach na hÉireann). It consists of three vertical bands of green, white, and orange.
23. What is the Irish language called?
Answer: The Irish language is called Irish or Gaeilge.
24. What is a Blarney Stone?
Answer: The Blarney Stone is a block of bluestone built into the battlements of Blarney Castle in County Cork, Ireland.
25. What is the Irish dance called?
Answer: The Irish dance is called Irish Ceili dancing. It is a form of dance that originated in Ireland and is characterized by its quick footwork and intricate hand and arm movements.
26. Where was Guinness first brewed, now known as one of the most popular drinks to celebrate St Patrick’s’ Day with around the world?
Answer: Dublin, Ireland
27. Who wrote “Danny Boy”, a traditional Irish song often sung on St Patrick’s Day?
Answer: Frederick Weatherly
28. What two sports are the traditional Irish sports?
Answer: Gaelic football and Hurling, are the traditional Irish sports that have been played for centuries.
29. Fill in the blank: Ireland is divided into two separate nations. They are __ & __.
Answer: The Republic of Ireland, which is an independent sovereign nation, and Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom.
30. Where in Ireland can you locate “Rock of Cashel” which is also known as Cashel of the Kings or St. Patrick’s Rock?
Answer: Its located in Cashel, County Tipperary.