In this post we will be looking at the topic – The Tent of Meeting”. What it meant during the time of the Israelite after leaving Egypt for the 40 year journey through the wilderness. Then we take a quick look at how that applies to us as Christians in the new testament.
What is Tent of meeting?
The tent of meeting can simply be described as a place of worship for the Jewish people during their 40 year journey through the wilderness. According to the bible, God gave Moses the design and pattern in which the tent will built while on Mount Sinai – Exodus 25:27.
Now lets begin by looking at the book of Exodus 33:7-11
“Now Moses used to take a tent and pitch it outside the camp some distance away, calling it the “tent of meeting.” Anyone inquiring of the Lord would go to the tent of meeting outside the camp. And whenever Moses went out to the tent, all the people rose and stood at the entrances to their tents, watching Moses until he entered the tent. As Moses went into the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance, while the Lord spoke with Moses. Whenever the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the entrance to the tent, they all stood and worshiped, each at the entrance to their tent. The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.“
As we have read above, Moses used to make a small tent outside of the camp away from the people and there God communicates with him. This action by Moses clearly indicated the people had a broken relationship with God. This could be attributed to the Israelite sins in Mount Sinai when they made a golden calf and worshiped it – Exodus 33:3 “Go up to the land flowing with milk and honey. But I will not go with you, because you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on the way.“
Why was Moses favored?
Imagine in your heart how Moses would have felt when he spoke with the Almighty God “face to face“. What was so special about him that the presence of God descended from Heaven in form of Pillar of cloud.
- Moses was a humble servant of God
- He was faithful, loyal, dedicated and committed to his service to God
- Moses was a man that had a relationship with God
- He was so close to God that God did speak to him in visions and dreams but rather came down from Heaven to speak to him face to face
Daily Motivational Christian Quotes and Bible Verses
1. He said, Listen to my words: When there is a prophet among you, I, the Lord, reveal myself to them in visions, I speak to them in dreams. But this is not true of my servant Moses; he is faithful in all my house. With him I speak face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses? – Numbers 12:6-8
2. There is no other way to be saved than Jesus.
3. Dear God, thank you for everything you have done for me and my household.
Do we still need Tent of meeting today?
Today we don’t need to pitch a tent anymore to meet with the Lord. When Jesus died, the vail that separated us from having access to God was removed. We now have free access to communicate with God wherever we are. The bible says in Galatians 5:1
“it is for freedom that Christ set us free, no more should we be subject to the yoke of slavery“.
We are now free to seek God and hear from Him directly, however majority of Christian don’t have a tent of meeting with God. God has given us 24hrs of the day but a lot of Christian don’t make time to fellowship with God. God is waiting to hear our voice, God wants to speak to us through His word, and through visions and dreams.
How to hear from God
Prayer is the key to hearing from God. Jesus separated Himself from His disciples to pray and seek the will of the father – Luke 5:16. Jesus went to a lonely place to pray so He can have a personal encounter with God. He knew the importance of having a personal relationship with God.
How can we have a tent of meeting with God consistently
- Renew your mind
- Be discipline
- Forget about the cares of the life because God is at work already
- Build up yourself in Christ by fellow-shipping with other Christians and attending services in Church
- Read the word of God on a daily basis
- Meditate on the word at all times
- Pray continually
And the Lord will bless you as you observe this things.