40 Bible Verses About Drinking
In this post, we will be looking at a collection of bible verses about drinking wine, implication of getting drunk in wine, scriptures on drinking, what does the bible say about drinking.
What does the bible say about drinking?
There are many verses in the bible that talks about drinking wisely and not getting drunk. One of such bible verse is Ephesians 5:18 which reads "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit."
Bible Verses About Drinking
1. Woe to him who makes his neighbors drink - you pour out your wrath and make them drunk, in order to gaze at their nakedness! - Habakkuk 2:15
2. No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments. - 1 Timothy 5:23
3. Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise. - Proverbs 20:1
4. But he said to me, Behold, you shall conceive and bear a son. So then drink no wine or strong drink, and eat nothing unclean, for the child shall be a Nazirite to God from the womb to the day of his death. - Judges 13:7
5. Absalom told his men, Wait until Amnon gets drunk; then at my signal, kill him! Don't be afraid. I’m the one who has given the command. Take courage and do it. - 2 Samuel 13:28
6. Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. - 1 Timothy 3:8
7. Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good. - Titus 2:3
8. And they shall say to the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard. - Deuteronomy 21:20
9. So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin. - James 4:17
10. Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do. - Ecclesiastes 9:7
11. Thus says the Lord: As the new wine is found in the cluster, and they say, Do not destroy it, for there is a blessing in it, so I will do for my servants sake, and not destroy them all. - Isaiah 65:8
12. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler-not even to eat with such a one. - 1 Corinthians 5:11
13. It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble. - Romans 14:21
14. For an overseer, as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, - Titus 1:7
15. I will restore the fortunes of my people Israel, and they shall rebuild the ruined cities and inhabit them; they shall plant vineyards and drink their wine, and they shall make gardens and eat their fruit. - Amos 9:14
16. Therefore be careful and drink no wine or strong drink, and eat nothing unclean. - Judges 13:4
17. It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, or for rulers to take strong drink. - Proverbs 31:4
18. So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
Scriptures on Drinking
19. Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaining? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes? Those who tarry long over wine; those who go to try mixed wine. Do not look at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup and goes down smoothly. In the end it bites like a serpent and stings like an adder. Your eyes will see strange things, and your heart utter perverse things. - Proverbs 23:29-35
20. These also reel with wine and stagger with strong drink; the priest and the prophet reel with strong drink, they are swallowed by wine, they stagger with strong drink, they reel in vision, they stumble in giving judgment. - Isaiah 28:7
21. For he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. - Luke 1:15
22. Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine, and valiant men in mixing strong drink. - Isaiah 5:22
23. Bread is made for laughter, and wine gladdens life, and money answers everything. - Ecclesiastes 10:19
24. Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags. - Proverbs 23:20-21
25. Whoever loves pleasure will be a poor man; he who loves wine and oil will not be rich. - Proverbs 21:17
26. The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners! Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds. - Matthew 11:19
27. And spend the money for whatever you desire-oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. - Deuteronomy 14:26
28. Nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. - 1 Corinthians 6:10
29. No more do they drink wine with singing; strong drink is bitter to those who drink it. - Isaiah 24:9
30. Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. - Romans 13:13
31. She may not eat of anything that comes from the vine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, or eat any unclean thing. All that I commanded her let her observe. - Judges 13:14
32. Drink no wine or strong drink, you or your sons with you, when you go into the tent of meeting, lest you die. It shall be a statute forever throughout your generations. - Leviticus 10:9
What the Bible says about drinking
33. And I commend joy, for man has no good thing under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of his life that God has given him under the sun. - Ecclesiastes 8:15
34. Woe to those who rise early in the morning, that they may run after strong drink, who tarry late into the evening as wine inflames them! - Isaiah 5:11
35. For the time that is past suffices for doing what the Gentiles want to do, living in sensuality, passions, drunkenness, orgies, drinking parties, and lawless idolatry. - 1 Peter 4:3
36. If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple. - 1 Corinthians 3:17
37. Lest they drink and forget what has been decreed and pervert the rights of all the afflicted. Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more. Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy. - Proverbs 31:5-9
38. Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. - Genesis 9:20-21
39. Let's get our father to drink wine and then sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father. That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up. - Genesis 19:32-33
40. He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink. He shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink and shall not drink any juice of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried. - Numbers 6:3
FAQs About Drinking
Can Christians drink alcohol?
No, a true Christian should not be drinking alcohol because alcohol gets you drunk which many verses in the bible warns against drunkenness. Also remember that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you. - 1 Corinthians 6:19.
Is drinking a sin in the bible?
There is no reference in the bible that says drinking is a sin, however, drinking strong drinks or getting drunk is a sin according to Galatians 5:21 which reads "Envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."
As you have just read, a drunkard will not enter into God's kingdom when the Lord appears in His second coming.
We hope that you have learnt a lot from this topic on bible verses about drinking wine, implication of getting drunk in wine, scriptures on drinking, what does the bible say about drinking.
Leave a Reply